
This morning my friend, Ms Annette talked about watching in awe as a bald eagle rode the thermals over her pasture! What a magnificent gift from our Maker! I was reminded of a time a few years ago when God sent a beautiful message of peace and healing in the form of an eagle.
My younger daughter had returned home at a very difficult time in her life. A relationship that had began in love and trust had ended in pain and shattered dreams. She hadn't shared all the details of the breakup, but I knew that both her heart and her spirit were broken. I thought time away would help, so I invited her on a trip with me to Georgia.
Our first day's plan was a visit to Stone Mountain. We rode the tram to the top, then took a short walk closer to the edge and found a rocky shelf under a tree to sit. There was an awesome view and the wind blew up from the valley below. An eagle flew in and perched on a branch of the tree over our heads. He soared out over the valley, rising and falling with the winds and then returned to a branch of that tree above our heads. Again and again he would fly off surveying the prospects below him. Every time he returned to the tree he would cock his head to the side and stare at us intently. It was like he had a message for us!
In the quiet beauty we started talking. She told me of the hurts and betrayals and bad decisions. She said that things had started spiraling out of control - until the only thing to do was let go and walk away before it all destroyed her! She knew it was the right decision, but felt like returning home was some sort of failure of her part. She had left to make an adult life and it hadn't worked out like she had hoped. My heart ached for her!
The eagle continued to soar out over the valley and return to his branch. What power and majesty! With that intent stare, it occurred to me that he did have a message for us! Flying out on the waves of the wind to see what possibilities lay before him, he still needed to return to the safety of the branch to regain strength and fly again. Just like my courageous daughter! Riding the winds of life up and down, but always having a safe branch to return to - home. That is part of His magnificent plan! Soar out on wings of love and trust and remember there is always safe haven in our family nest. We all need a place to rest and regain our strength before we can fly out again!As her birthday approaches again this weekend, I am thankful that God made us a family! I'm thankful we are so blessed to be strength, rest and peace for one another. I'm thankful we share His love! And I am so proud of the life she has made and lived in the years since returning to the nest before soaring out on her own again!
Happy Birthday, Cristine! And thank you, Lord, for messages sent on eagle's wings!
."And He will raise you up
On eagle's wings,
Bear you on the breath on dawn,
Make you to shine like the sun,
And hold you in the palm of His hand"Psalm 91
(c) CHRobinson May 2010
Very touching, Ms Claudia. You should do more of this. Perhaps you and Ms Annette might collaborate on a future one.
ReplyDelete**sniff sniff**
ReplyDeleteAnd look at what I had waiting for me & I didn't even know it.
Love you too mom!
What a beautiful story!
ReplyDeleteOh my that was beautiful......and written about my dear friend Cris....what a wonderful birthday present. I would have given anything to have my mother write to me this way.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Cris!!
I'm learning for myself how difficult it is for parents to let go and allow their children to make mistakes and just be there for them to fall back on. I knew this is theory as I grew up watching my parents with my older siblings, but as my kids are growing and I'm having to let got a little every day it is becoming more clear that our love and guidance are always there to fall back on -- that safe place.
ReplyDeleteHope Cris had a great birthday.